Monday, October 22, 2018

The Simple Woman's Daybook - "Believe, Love and Do!"



For Today
October 20th, 2018 
It is night time here. I am using my laptop to try to get a post finally off. I have been up since 4:30 am this morning. Today is the day we serve in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints's Jordan River Temple. I have wanted to take a nap but instead, have been playing catch up with various things. 
It's been a great day but with lack of sleep; I hope I make sense. 
This link has wonderful blog posts from others to read and share. Drop by and enjoy some unique posts. 
http://thesimplewoman.blogspot.com

Looking out my window
Today has been a lovely fall day. The temperatures have been in the low 60’s. Rain and lower temperatures are coming. Today is the most beautiful day we have had for a while. I wanted to be out in it; but alas that didn’t happen.

 I am thinking
I have been thinking a lot about the things I spend my time on. I recently did a ten-day Social Media fast. Doing this was an invitation from our Prophet, President Russell M. Nelson to the sisters of the church to take a break from social media for ten days. I learned some valuable lessons from not spending time on Facebook, Instagram, My Blog, and other sites. Although I don’t think I spent a lot of time on social networks, I can see where doing it less has been a good thing. I love knowing how my friends and family are doing through these kinds of social sites, but on the other hand, I am tired of all the extra stuff that goes on in the Social world. I am very tired of politics and additional useless information.
I see the good that comes from social media contact, but I also see the bad stuff and harmful things that pop up. I think I will be more careful about what I read, like and comment on.
I do know that Social Media has its place in our ever-expanding world of communications. However, I think with texting, Facebook, Instagram, and other sites we have lost true connection. I love a good old-fashioned telephone call. I like to hear the voices of good friends and family members. I miss that a lot. In the text world, you can’t express the feelings that are felt. I worry about the upcoming generation knowing how to communicate in person.
I note that children of today don’t go outside and play, or get with friends as much as they text friends and use social media to fulfill their friendship hours.
 It’s all sad.
While I was growing, up, I spent the entire day outside playing with friends. I loved riding bikes, going swimming, ice skating, roller skating, sledding, playing outdoor games and indoor board games. Although, I think some children experience this it isn’t the general rule of play. Most of them like to be busy with computer games, and TV.
In my own life, I have found myself with less reading novel time, playing my piano on a daily basis, spending more talking time with my husband and children. The list goes on with what I could be doing rather than spending time looking at Facebook pages.
That’s enough of my tirade. I know that you get the gest.
However, I love my friends and family so I will continue to do Social Media on a more limited scale.

I am thankful
I am deeply grateful for every Saturday morning when I serve in the Jordan River Temple. Being there fills my soul with needed nourishment. I love the temple and the peace and joy I find within those walls. The patrons that come to serve are lovely, and the atmosphere is something you almost can’t describe. Some blessings and miracles happen on every shift that I work. I know beyond doubt that the Lord is watching over His temples and blessing the work that goes on there. 


One of my favorite things
I love spending time with my sweet eternal companion. We love serving in the temple together. We aren’t with each other, but we know we are there together. I also love our dates. We often go to movies and sometimes out to dinner. We love holding hands and taking a walk together. We have a spectacular relationship, and I feel so blessed to be his. He is a true disciple of Christ and loves to help others and is always helping me. He is an incredible man.

I am creating
Ok, I am not building a thing at this moment of time. I guess I could say; I am creating this blog post.
I am wearing
A black, white, different shades of the blue long comfortable skirt. I have a casual black shirt. I am wearing some comfy slippers.
I am reading (Read)
I belong to a book club, and I enjoy meeting monthly with a fantastic group of women. We have a fun lunch and then a discussion on the book we read for the month.
This past month, we read a book entitled: “A Night Divided” by Jennifer A. Nielsen. This story is about a family that lived in Germany at the time that the Berlin wall went up. The father and one son left to find work in West Berlin and left the mother and two other children in East Berlin. Then the wall went up dividing them. It is all about how two of the children on the east side started to build a tunnel to get to the west side. It was a great story of this period and easy read but very descriptive and had my attention immediately. I loved this book.

Meanwhile, I have been reading a book entitled: “The Nightingale.” by Kristin Hannah. It is another war story about two sisters and how they survived when Germany invaded France. I have just started this one, and I can tell it is going to be a good one.

 After this book, I think I will read something a bit lighter. I usually like a good Christmas novel.
I am forever reading my favorite book of all time: “The Book of Mormon.” My husband and I are reading ten pages a day of this marvelous book of scripture. We started a year ago last September and had read it six times. We have already read and studied it many times before this challenge.
This book is powerful and tells the story of ancient America and the people who populated North and South America. My favorite part is when the Savior, Jesus Christ appears in America’s to the people after His resurrection. His time spent with the people and the teachings given is priceless. My greatest desire is that everyone would read this book and appreciate and learn of Jesus Christ’s dealings with those ancient people. It indeed is the most influential book on the earth today.

I do love all the other scriptures too. I love the Old Testament, New Testament, Doctrine in Covenants and Pearl of Great Price. These books are filled with marvelous teaching, also.
 I am hoping
I am hoping that tomorrow will be a spectacular Sabbath Day. I look forward to the weekend, but I always enjoy the opportunity to go to church to worship my Heavenly Father and Savior. I love the messages and hymns and especially the sacred moments of the sacrament.

I am learning
I am learning to play some hymns and a new piece for Christmas on the piano. I have played the piano for many years. I am shy about performing in public. I do play for family events but not for others. I get nervous when I play in front of people. However, I am hoping on working to overcome that.
I love playing the piano, and it brings me great joy.
Right now I am teaching the three grandchildren that are living with me basic piano. It has been a fun adventure.
In my kitchen
To be honest, my sweet husband spends more time cooking than I do. However, my daughter and I have divided up the nights we will cook for the family, and I am working on preparing a little bit more.
 Favorite Quote



Closing Thoughts For Today
I have a profound testimony of the importance of ministering to one another. Watching over and caring about the people that are around us. There are many lonely souls out there that need an extra smile and or a hand of caring. 
One of the drawbacks to giving service is not being aware of needs. 
I have found in my own life and that of others that we are sometimes glued to our phone. Adults and youth alike are frequently on their phones. 
Perhaps, it is time to re-evaluate our time and learn to look up from our phones, look out at others and look around to those we might lift. Let us open our eyes, ears, and hearts to make a difference in the lives of others. 

9 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

I loved all of your thoughts LeAnn, especially your thoughts on Social Media. Like you I did the fast. Sadly I noticed a lot of the younger women in my Ward did not, which disappointed me, but who am I to judge. I really only go on Facebook to see what my family are up to, and to post my recipes. It has become such a political battlefield and I don't enjoy that at all. I do like Instagram and of course blogging. But I am very aware of the time that can be wasted and am trying hard to cut back and fill it with more worthwhile activities! Love you my sweet friend! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hmm is anyone else experiencing problems with the pictures on this blog
loading? I'm trying to find out if its a problem on my end
or if it's the blog. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Christy Monson said...

Loved this post. We just had a lesson Sunday in Relief Society on Uchtdorf's Believe, Love, Do. Such a mantra for our daily lives. Thanks for the tip on Jennifer's new book. I'll get it. Thanks for sharing your life with us. All the best. Hugs and love, Christy

Debbie said...

touching on social media...i really adore all the people i am connected with on Facebook and my blog. i don't feel like i spend too much time on those as i enjoy them, i never give myself a hard time about anything i enjoy. i feel my life is well balanced...therefore, i am happy!!

i enjoyed reading about your relationship with your husband, that was so sweet!!

your "picture wall" is awesome, i would love seeing that in it's totality!!!

i wish my husband spent more time in the kitchen but i can't complain because he takes me out so often!!

i am almost never talking on my phone, i don't play games or anything else. i use it to text and to look things up. i have been noticing the walking and texting a lot lately and it is kind of sad!! also restaurants, a whole table of people on their phones and taking selfies!!!

i enjoyed your closing thoughts!!!

Diane said...

I found the same things about the media fast. I quit reading the news and found that I have a lot more time for books that I love. I always thought knowing what is going on is good and I need to keep up with it, but there was so much more peace and time in my life without it.

Tracy said...

LOVE these posts, LeAnna... and LOVE you, my sister! The photo of you & Roger is lovely. Fun to see what you're reading lately. How wonderful you play the piano! I'm musically challenged, but am a big appreciator of music... Very much appreciated your thoughts on your social media fast recently. There's so much negativity online, it's heartbreaking. I don't do social media anymore. Some years back I did Twitter and all that when I had a online shop, but after closing that, was glad to leave social media--it was exhausting keeping up on multiple platforms. Most real friends still visited me mostly at my blog anyway--so blogging only these days! One of those things where less is more. ;)I have a cell phone, but I don't use it a lot, and I'm not online with it. I use it for the odd call to make, or use the note app for making notes. Less is more! :) GOD BLESS you & yours, my sweet Sister in Christ ((HUGS))

Anonymous said...

Hello it's me, I am also visiting this web page on a regular basis, this website is actually pleasant and
the viewers are genuinely sharing pleasant thoughts.

Barb said...

Hi LeAnn~

Love you sweet friend...thank you for your kind words on my blog, they truly did comfort me.

Your day-book is wonderful! So many great things to think about and smile about.

I agree with you about social media. It is the way the younger generation communicate, sometimes good, sometimes bad. I love to hear my phone ring, I miss talking on the phone! I am the secretary in our RS, and I have to post things on FB and e-mail the same message to those who don't use FB. I always get good feedback from the older people in our ward who I send e-mails to, they were really missing out when it was just posted on FB.

A book club sounds like so much fun! I'm going to suggest that at our next meeting. That might be a fun way to help those who struggle getting to church feel a little closer to us. The books sound really interesting!

You and Roger are of course, two of my favorite people! Love you both, and appreciate all of the love you have for my sweet daughter, she loves you guys so much. It's fun to be able to share that wonderful family!

I love ministering! It really gives me a different perspective and way of looking out for my ladies. I love that it doesn't need to be so formal, has made so much difference in my life.

Love you tons!

Hugs and Love,
Barb

Marsha said...

LeAnn...I love your posts. They always put me in the thinking/reflecting place that I need to be. Thanks for keeping me on my toes!
Love from Idaho - Marsha