Monday, March 7, 2011

JOYS OF THE TEMPLE -

Sealed to my family in March of 1953
My thoughts today are turned to the Joys of The Temple.
My parents were not active in our church through the early years of their marriage. After they became active, they took my two brothers and I to the temple to be sealed as a family for eternity. I was 7 years old at that time and felt the spirit that day and it became part of a growing testimony of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I have always loved the temple and have had great moments of joy within the walls of the temples through  the years. 

Oakland Temple
Several years ago, our family lived in San Jose, CA. We were about 90 minutes away from the Oakland Temple, which sits upon a hill overlooking the San Francisco Bay. I recall attending a special fireside for endowed members. The speaker was President Castleton of the Oakland Temple. He talked for  a moment about the outward appearance of the temple and its impact on the community. He explained how the temple when fully illuminated at night becomes a light, a literal beacon to many; including ships in the bay, planes in the sky, even motorists. The Temple provides a bearing, even a beacon of light  and especially during times of bad weather and fog. I thought about this and have noted over the years that many of the temples do sit on a hill and can be seen thoughout the valleys. The temple should be a spiritual beacon in our lives. As it becomes more a part of our life we will discover new bearings to aid in our daily sojourn. We have the assurance that the blessings and promises of the Lord are always within our view.
I feel very blessed at this time of my life to have  5 temples within this valley. We have two temples approx. 2.5 miles from our home. Many years ago we purchased a piece of property on the street next to the Jordan River Temple. We were so excited at the thoughts of living near the temple and even held Family Home Evenings in the car by our piece of property. We did not get to complete that dream. We had to sale that piece of property due to a job change and subsequent move. Now that dream has been fulfilled as we serve weekly in the Jordan River Temple. The temple is a beacon in our lifes, a place of peace and joy.


Jordan River Temple where we serve
The temple is a house of peace, a house of prayer, a house of revelation, a house of covenants, and of service. A true house of peace and joy. I love this sweet story by Michael Wilcox. "A friend of his was leaving for the temple when his small son stopped him and asked him where he was going: "We are going to the temple," was the reply. "Well, when you get there the son said, "Will you tell my good friend Jesus, Hi?" "I don't think we'll see him there", his Mother answered. Then, with the profound insight of a child, the son responded, "Oh, I think you will find him - if you look very hard for him."
Ponder these thoughts. Do we look for the Savior there? Do we feel the spirit? Do we ponder on the things we learn? Do we feel good about the service we give? Do we feel peace and joy within those walls.
Walk Where Jesus Walked
If  I could go to Galilee and walk where Jesus walked and sit in the tender grasses on the hillside where he taught.
If I could feel a gentle breeze that lifted from the sea; where he chose the humble fishermen, how full my heart would be.
If I could sit and ponder on a rock that knew his hand, or walk along the seashore where his feet had touched the sand.
My spirit yearns within me, but it doesn't seem my fate, I'll never walk where Jesus walked, I'll never see...but wait, I've worshipped in His Temple where I know he's walked before.
Have his feet been down this hallway? Has he stood here in this very room and looked at what I see? In the beauty of his temple I can feel his love for me.
I close my eyes and picture Him my worries melt away. I don't need to go to Galilee or travel far away. For my tender heart is filled with what He wants me to be taught and my testimony burns within...I've walked where Jesus walked.  - by Carma Salvenson
What joy filled my heart on that special day when I was 7 years and we were sealed as a family. Again deep joy was felt the day that I was sealed to my beloved companion for eternity. Then to watch as each of our sons and daughters were married in the temple. This is the ultimate blessing and joy of the temple that we are a forever family and then to link our families to our ancestors. That circle of peace and joy continues on with our posterity.
 Yes, this is the Joy of the Temple.
The Salt Lake Temple
Married to my eternal companion in 1967 -
Two daughters were married in the Salt Lake Temple -
The following are the temples my sons were married in; the Las Vegas Temple, the Washington DC Temple and the Bountiful Temple - 

7 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

Beautiful temples!

And you used to live near me...We love our Oakland temple.

=)

Just Ramblin' said...

Wonderful thoughts on the temple. What a great blessing to have temples so nearby. I love seeing the Bountiful temple all lit up at night. It is truly is a beacon and comfort. Such a wonderful thought to know that Christ walks in his temples and that we can walk where he walks. I have a very strong testimony of this. How wonderful the memory you have of being sealed to your family. Such a blessing.
Nola

Marie Rayner said...

Todd and I were sealed to each other in the Preston, England Temple. We are hoping to go next week one day. A friend will watch the dog for us. It is a 2 hour drive there and then back, not to mention the time we spend there, so it is really best if we have someone to watch Mitzie for us. I am really looking forward to it. We have had two of Todd's children sealed to us. I would so love to have my children sealed to me, but alas I cannot imagine it ever happening. xxoo

Marmee's Pantry said...

Thanks for visiting Marmee's Pantry again. I always enjoy seeing your comments pop up.

I hope you have a wonderful time w/your daughter & her family while they visit. Make lots of precious memories.

Although I'm not LDS, I have been to the Salt Lake City Temple (1969). It is lovely & so are the grounds. We took the tour & 1 of my favorite parts of the tour was when the guide had us all go up the balcony & he went down to the podium & WHISPERED his entire presentation! He then dropped a pin, which made a small noise, & then dropped a nail, which seemed to shake the room! A great demonstration of the perfect acoustics of the room!

Blessings from Ohio...Kim<><

Kim-A Creative Spirit said...

Thanks for stopping by A CREATIVE SPIRIT. Following you back.

Darlene said...

Beautiful words from an exceptionally good writer. I enjoyed every word. It is so great that you can be close to Temples. I truly loved it when I used to go to the Temple every Tuesday. When we moved to the desert we had to travel about two and a half hours to get to the San Diego Temple. Since then, they built the Redlands Temple so it is only a little over an hours drive, which isn't quite so bad. We were sealed in the Los Angeles Temple, which I also love. It is harder now, though, for me to go because I have to go in a wheel chair and by the time I get home I am truly exhausted. We do go, but not as often, I'm afraid. I absolutely adore sitting in the Celestial Room after a session and just think about all of our many blessings.

Thank you for this great post.

John said...

Beautiful post. I will take your thoughts with me next time I go to the Temple