Thursday, April 30, 2020

Quarantine Cabin Fever, and An Antique Singer ~


All of us have had our lives turned upside down with the Covid 19. Many of our activities have been canceled. We had a spectacular Stake Relief Society Event planned for March17th, and Our Stake Relief Society Presidency had to postpone it. My husband and I were working in the Jordan River Temple, and then all temples were closed throughout the world
We have three grandchildren serving missions. Our Grandson, Elder Michael Adamson, was released from his mission three months early from the Spanish speaking, Lubbock, Texas Mission. Then our Granddaughter,, Sister Taylor Jo, Williams, was brought home from New Zealand after just starting her mission. We now have our Granddaughter, Sister Abilene Workman, serving in the Phoenix, Arizona mission while under Quarantine. There are some miracle stories as thousands of missionaries from the US serving throughout the world were brought home.
        Elder Adamson & Companion    Sister Williams & Companion       Companion &Sister Workman
           Lubbock, Texas Mission          Wellington, New Zealand Mission       Phoenix, Arizona Mission 
Here's what we have been up to since being in Quarantine. On March 22, We celebrated our Granddaughter, Alyssa's 16th birthday. We had a grand moment with them all. This is the last family event we had before the slow down in our lives. 

Our Granddaughter, Sariah, is living with us. She was attending Utah State University and came down to our home to finish up her classes online. She is not working right now, and I can assure you staying with her Grandparents has been a challenge for her. On a lovely spring day, we took Sariah up to the Quirrah Mountain Temple. It was such a beautiful day to be out and about. 
We then had a low key Easter Celebration. We were able to stay home and hold our own church Sacrament meeting. My husband has the Priesthood Authority do this sacred ordinance. It was actually a very sacred and spiritual moment. We do this each week, and we sing hymns and are assigned messages to prepare. Our Granddaughter is an accomplished pianist who brings joy to our hearts as she plays for us. 

Here are photos of me hanging out with our Sammy on one of those Sabbath days - Then  Sariah having a moment with our Fur Baby.
Project Protect is a challenge to make 5 Million Medical Grade Masks for Health Care Workers in Utah by Intermountain Health Care and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints Charities. Our Stake Relief Society Presidency was asked to initiate this in our Stake. I decided to join in making these Masks. I don't sew much, and I don't have a sewing machine. It was given to my daughter. However, in our storage, we have an old Singer Sewing Machine of my Mothers. I was sure that it would work, but a little nervous that it wouldn't. My husband brought it upstairs and did research on how old it was. 
We found out it was made in 1936. On eBay, it is worth around $2000.00.  The miracle is that it worked perfectly. 
I had picked up 100 pre-cut masks, and the first day it took me several hours to complete about 33. I only had 2 days to do this. Therefore, my sweet husband and our wonderful Granddaughter joined in and helped by pinning the fabric and etc. It was a fantastic effort, and I loved being able to complete it. Many sisters in our Stake contributed, and the first week one million masks were made in our area. I think that is another miracle. 
Our next adventure out of our cabin occurred on Saturday, April 25. The weather was lovely. It's been cold, and this was one of the first days of warming up. We drove to Heber City, Utah, and had a picnic at the park. We were able to keep social distancing, and it was perfect to be out for a while. 
My husband has been working hard on our yard and putting in a garden box. Here is our Sammy watching him closely. 
My dearest husband finally got me into the dirt, helping with our garden. This is a miracle. I have PTSD when it comes to dirt. As a child, I worked in the potatoes fields on my Dad's farm. I worked side by side with Navajo Workers. They were awesome, but I didn't enjoy picking potatoes in the dirt at all. 
The truth is, I would go off and play. Favorite things to do: be a cowgirl, like Calamity Jane or watch ants building their hills. These are such precious memories to me. 

Well, what have you all been up too during this siege? I'd love some comments. 
Be safe, and stay in if you can! Sending loving thoughts and hugs your way!


4 comments:

Diane said...

It looks like a lovely garden. I think it is nice that your granddaughter is there with you, though I am sure she misses college and friends. My mom has tried many other expenses sewing machines and she always goes back to her mother's black metal singer from the 1940's. They just don't make things like they used to.

Christy Monson said...

We're on the same path. I'm making masks and gardening. It's a beautiful time of year and lots of fun. My Singer looks just like yours except it's in a cabinet. I love it because it works perfectly! Hugs and lots of love.

Tracy said...

LOVELY to catch up with you, LeAnn! And how WONDERFUL is that old Singer machine--what a gem! And how wonderful the marathon mask sewing--beautiful! So exciting with your gardening and raised beds... can't wait to see what you grow and harvest! Calamity Jane... wasn't that a great film--love Doris Day! Over here in Norway, restrictions are slowly lifting, not all, but some... there's still a long way to go, though. We're safe, we're well, it's spring... we are blessed! :) God Bless you all there! ((LOVE & HUGS))

Debbie said...

so very wonderful to see an update today...i missed it until now!!

you have such a big and beautiful family, you must really miss those you can not see!!! it must be nice to have sariah living with you! i don't feel like my life has changed that much, i am always home a lot, i do however miss our little day trips!!

i LOVE/ADORE your sewing machine, it's a singer, i am not surprised at all that it worked!!!!! it is nice to see the whole family working on the masks!!

please keep us updated on your garden, i am so excited for you!! i brought all of my plants indoors last night and they survived just fine. i am going to put them back outside tomorrow!!!

happy mothers day leann, i hope you are able to have a beautiful day!!