Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Simple Woman's Daybook - A Peek Into A January Day~

Be sure and drop by other Simple Day Book Entries Here. 
Enjoy reading and perhaps join the fun!

Outside my window.....it is a cold crisp January day. We are expecting a small snowstorm tonight and then more snow throughout the week. Although I don't like to go out into the snow, I do enjoy the beauty of it. Due to drought condition these last few years, we need more snow-pack to fill the reservoirs this spring.
I am thinking...how I would love to stay home today but I need to run some errands and then go to my monthly Daughters of the Utah Pioneer meeting. I do enjoy the meetings. There is always a pioneer history and I will be doing one on my ancestor next month. We also sing pioneer songs which is fun. There is always a lesson given on some aspects of early pioneer life.
I am thankful...for so many blessings in my life. I do have a dear blogging friend that is going to do one gratitude post a week. My youngest daughter is also blogging on gratitude. You can see her blog posts here. I know when I have a grateful heart; life seems easier somehow. I do recognize the hand of the Lord in my life. I treasure my moments in prayerful communication with my loving Heavenly Father. I am so grateful for my Savior and I know that He is always there for me when in need. I have a deep testimony of Him and his role in my life.
In the kitchen....we have left over's from Sunday that we will warm up for dinner. Last night my cousin, Bill and his wife, Jo took us to dinner at Ruth Chris Steak House. I am still feeling full from the meal. It was a lovely time to get to know one another better. 
I am wearing....a pink and white housecoat and black slippers. I will be getting dressed for the day soon. I do have my make-up on which helps me start the day. With that in place I am ready to roll. 
I am going...first to the Daughters of the Utah Pioneer meeting, then to pick up a specialized diet for our sweet dog Sammy. He has some expensive allergies.  I then hope to make a quick visit to a woman that I enjoyed being friends with while on our mission. 
I am wondering...if I will ever get my life on a schedule and accomplish more items from off my to do list. 
I am reading.... The Book of Mormon as always.


 Right now I am still in 2nd Nephi in the chapters on Isaiah's writings. I am reading this area slower because it is more difficult to understand. This is taking some prayer. I wasn't able to finish this section during December, so I am still working away on it. 
This year our Sunday school class will be studying the Old Testament. My husband gave me for Christmas two commentary books that aid in studying the Bible. I was able to teach the Old Testament in a Seminary Class several years ago. I love that year. 

I am still reading a fantastic book entitled: "The Triumph of Zion - Our Personal Quest For The New Jerusalem". by John M. Pontius. I am learning more about the different meanings of the word, Zion. Along with a lot of thoughts on how to become a Zion person; a true-Christ like person. This is a personal quest. I am reading slowly on this one too.

My dear husband gave me some other books for Christmas. I am still trying to decide which one to read first. I have a lot of unread books. These books will join the other unread books on the shelf as I slowly work through reading them all. I love to read; but finding the time is sometimes hard.
 He also gave me a new series book to read. I am excited about that; but I need to read the first one before the new one.

 I am hoping....to get my year plans in order. I just have so much I want to accomplish. The list of projects is long and sometimes looks overwhelming. I am trying to schedule my time better so I can accomplish more on this list. I don't really have New Year resolutions this year because they have been the same ones for years. I decided to put the items I feel strongly about on a project list and work on them in snatches of time. I hope I can complete a few this year. The main items that I want to work on are more time and effort into genealogy, family history and temple work. 
I am looking forward....to receiving a call from my grandson, Jackson that he has received his Mission Call. The assignment should come in the mail soon. We will jump in the car and head for Heber City to be there when he opens his call to serve. I am just so excited for him. 
I am learning.....so many things about what Zion means. I recognize that to be a Zion individual it really means following Christ and working on Christ like attributes. 
I have also been thinking about what word that I want to use as a theme for the 2014 year. Last year it was "Hope" and I learned so many lessons on hope. I am pondering upon the word Charity. Charity is so much more than just doing good deeds and etc. It really is the end result of a Christ like life. Charity is really the pure love of Christ, meaning that you love others like Christ loves. Christ loves us no matter what, totally unconditional. 

Around the house....there is still Christmas decorations up. I finished putting away the upstairs decorations so I now need to do the downstairs tree and etc. I always feel a bit of melancholy during this time.  Here's a a sweet memory of Christmas Morning; Sammy loved his new toy.  


 
I am pondering....on how to actually schedule and accomplish the large to do list. 
A favorite quote for today......'I see a wonderful future in an uncertain world. If we will cling to our values. If we will build on our inheritance. If we will walk in obedience before the Lord, if we will simply live the gospel we will be blessed in a magnificent and wonderful way. We will be looked upon as a peculiar people who have found the key to a peculiar happiness."
 ~ Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley
One of my favorite things.....is to listen to music. I love all kinds of music except for hard rock. My preferences are Gospel, Country, Oldies, and Classical. I love listening to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.  and other Christian and LDS music. I do enjoy a few of the country songs from Tim McGraw and Faith Hill. I think Faith has a beautiful voice that can sing different kinds of music. Her voice has such a depth and wide range. Oldies of course bring back romantic moments. Classical music takes me a way to another place as I feel the emotion of the music touch my soul. I love most hearing my daughters sing; that brings me great joy. 
A pet Peeve.....This one can be controversial. I really don't like the unshaven look of many men of today. I like my man shaved. My son's like to grow beards and I like their clean shaven look best. I think men look younger when shaved.  I guess if I get feedback from my boys I will know they actually read this. They already know my deeper thoughts on this subject. Mind you I don't mind beards on other men, because I don't need to. It is just my  personal preference. 
Something new about me.....I like to do research work. I have always enjoyed a good challenge. When I start a project I work hard on it. I think that will happen when I am more into doing Family History work. 
One of my guilty pleasures....I am running out of guilty pleasures. There is one that I don't feel free to share. I will leave it at that; and I may share it someday.
A few plans for the rest of the week: A haircut tomorrow - Time to organize myself - Temple Service- Perhaps a moment or two with some good friends - Maybe a Saturday movie with my hubby - I just want a few low key days. 
A  Favorite Picture to share......
Gosh, I need to get to Idaho and hold this new granddaughter of mine. 

10 comments:

Mom of 12 said...

She is so cute! I can see why you want to go to Idaho.
Sandy

Christy Monson said...

What sweet glimpse into your life. I do love the intimacy of it all. I love so many of the same things. Hugs to you and prayers.

The Adventurer said...

beautiful picture of your granddaughter. Funny when we lived in the UK i missed the snow now that we are back and have had 10 inches of snow I am ready for winter to be over:). Stay warm and safe with the snow

Just Ramblin' said...

I love your Daybook and learning more about the special person you are. I'm so glad you posted about your daughter's blog. I will be checking it out. Today the Deseret News had an article about the first "bachelorette" who had written a book about "Gratitude" and being grate for something every day. Gratitude must be on everyone's mind. I hope you'll let us know where your grandson is going as soon as you here. And, I love the picture of your sweet little granddaughter. Thanks for sharing with all of us. I really need to get back to doing this. Nola

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Congratulations on your new granddaughter! She is precious.

I also dislike beards and scruffy faces on men. I feel sorry for the wives of the Duck Dynasty men! Yuck.

Enjoy your Friday and the weekend! Hope you find some time to just relax.

Debbie said...

these entries are so fun to read, they must take a long time to prepare. i really enjoy your daybooks!!

it's been so cold at the jersey shore, warm and raining today, it's better then that frigid cold!!

Susan Anderson said...

I totally agree with you about bears, and my sons love to play with facial hair, too. What's that about??

;)

PS. Your granddaughter is adorable!

Barb said...

Hi LeAnn!

I love your daybook! I just can't believe how adorable that sweet Haven is!! You really do need to come to Idaho...just sayin'!

I think you are amazing at family history - I would just love to sit down with you and have you teach me. Let's see, how much would we get done? I think we would just giggle and have too much fun!

Much love to you and your sweetie - I hope to see you soon!

Hugs and Love,
Barb

singing/granny said...

I always love to read your posts. You sound like your plate is full....not a bad thing:) I usually am still undecorating, but with the grandkids here, we cleared it up quickly this year. Thanks for the fun pictures! Melody

Grammy Staffy said...

Thank you for your support and encouragement dear. This surgery was so unexpected. I'm still shocked. I'm a bit down today. I guess I'm getting tired of not feeling well. Tomorrow morning will be the 5th day after the surgery. I guess I need to be more patient.

I also enjoy reading your Woman's Day book. It is nice to see a peek inside your world. Be careful out in that snow.

Hugs, Lura