Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Divine Design - "Where Are We Going"~

"What Is This Thing Called Death?

Death is part of the important  Plan of Happiness designed by Our Father In Heaven. Death will come to all; and although I don't look forward to my own death I do know that it is likened unto a birth into the Spirit World. As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints I feel that we have sacred teachings of life and death. We know that it is part of an eternal plan for all.
Some ask where is the Spirit World;  here are some thoughts on this from President Brigham Young: "Where is the Spirit world? It is right here. Do the good and evil spirits go together? Yes, they do. Do they go beyond the boundaries of the organized earth? No, they do not. They are brought forth upon this earth, for the express purpose of inhabiting it to all eternity...Where is the spirit world? It is incorporated within this celestail system. Can you see it with your natural eyes? No. Can you see spirits in this room? No...if the Lord would permit it, you could see the spirits that have departed from this world as plainly as you now see bodies with your natural eyes." (Discourses of Brigham Young).
As a Hospice nurse I had the privledge to comfort those that were dying and provide support to their family members. I had many spiritual experiences that I can say without doubt that I know that at death we pass into a spirit world.
I sat at the bedside of a dear friend one night and heard her conversing with spirits in the room. She was a mother of six children and was dying at the young age of 46 years old. Although I couldn't see who she was talking too; I knew there were spirits present. She argued with them telling them she wasn't ready to come. She wanted to stay with her children. My heart broke for her. She passed a few days later. I was reasurred that night that she was being prepared to go into the Spirit world. I seriously could write a book of many such experiences that strengthened my testimony of Death as a part of the wonderous Plan of Salvation.
I held my dear father's hand as he passed quietly into the Spirit World. I cared for my sweet mother for the last few months of her life. My husband and I needed to travel out of state  to attend a family sealing. I asked my brother to come up and stay with our mom. I knew she was near death. I asked her not to go before I got home. She quietly passed away while we were on the plane flying home. I felt very sad that I wan't there; but I also knew that she wouldn't wait for me once my Dad came to get her.
On the morning of my Mother's funeral I had to give a message. I was really worried about becoming too emotional while giving my thoughts. I was praying that my parents could be there by me to support. I felt them near and that all was well. It was a very spiritual experience for me.
I love this additional thought from President Brigham Young: "We have more friends behind the veil than on this side, and they will hail us more joyfully than you were ever welcomed by your parents and friends in this world, and you will rejoice more when you meet them than you ever rejoiced to see a friend in this life".
Another great quote from President Young: "When we pass into the spirit world, we shall possess a measure of (the Almighty's ) power. Here, we are continually troubled with ills and ailments of various kinds. In the spirit world we are free from all this and enjoy life, glory, and intelligence; and we have the Father to speak to us, Jesus to speak to us, and angels to speak to us -- and we shall enjoy the society of the just and the pure who are in the spirit world until the ressurection."
The title "What Is This Thing Called Death" is a hymn written by President Gordon B. Hinckley and the music by Janice Kapp Perry. This hymn was sang by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir at President Hinckley's funeral. This may take a few moments to come on.






8 comments:

Just Ramblin' said...

What a beautiful and thoughtful post. My children and I were just discussing this the other night and I will have to share some of your thoughts and quotes, if you don't mind. I was with my mother when she passed and it was very tender. She had been going back and forth and finally we just told her to go. We would be fine. I love knowing that loved ones are nearby. I feel their presence quite often.
Thanks for your beautiful thoughts and the hymn. Nola

John said...

The first time I read Brigham Young's statements about the Spirit World, they creeped me out.I just couldn't imagine dead people living near me. That was about 14 years ago. But as I have done more temple work the truthfulness and beauty of it has touched and comforted me. There have been a couple of ancestors that I have felt very close too from doing their work and their children's work. It has been comforting to know they are here routing for me and my children.

Susan Anderson said...

Beautiful words and examples. And how well I remember this beautiful song at Pres. Hinckley's funeral.

Thanks!

=)

singing/granny said...

Oh LeAnn, you should write a book! You have a gift for telling about spiritual things that would touch many people searching for truth. And I know that many people wonder about death and the life after this one. I worked in Candlelighters for many years and was privy to many stories told by parents of their children passing. They were sweet stories of courageous and pure and innocent children who trusted in their parents and what they were taught of an after life. My own son passed with a smile on his face, and I have never doubted he was met by people he loved and who loved him. Thanks for sharing! And many blessings to you. Melody

Denise said...

Such a lovely post.

Darlene said...

You write so well LeAnn. I hope you are have your posts made into books like Sue does. It is such a wonderful thing to leave for your posterity. You just have so many interesting things to say about the gospel of Jesus Christ. I can't imagine people that don't believe in an afterlife. It would certainly make this life different, wouldn't it? It is wonderful that we know so much about where we came from, why we are here and where we are going?

Thanks again for a great post!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing on NOBH. We are truly "surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses" (Hebrews 12:1).

Amy W Thornton said...

What a thoughtful post, LeAnn. Death is one of those difficult subjects isn't it? Because it means leaving all we know, but it also means (at least to me) attaining Heaven and all that goes with that blessed and wonderful place. In many ways I long to be home with my Father and those who have gone before. I long to be at perfect peace and never sad or frightened or alone. But I also know that I have things to do here. It sounds like you have been an instrument of His peace during the passing of several sweet souls into the next world. I know this must have been difficult, but what a privilege! Thank you so much for sharing your heart on such a difficult and, for many, painful subject. And for linking up with NOBH! Smiles -