Thursday, April 8, 2010

WHAT AN EASTER FEAST!

I came to the table thirsty and hungry and I was fed and what a feast it was. I knew at the time that my lips were parched and I needed living water. My cup became full and my hunger was satisfied. How I wish that the feeling could stay forever; but that is not to be. I must continue myself to seek for the living waters and never give up doing so.  Now it is up to me to keeping filling my cup full of living water and then share it with others who are thirsty too. There are so many within my reach who are hungry and thirsting. Is there a neighbor next door who is starving and or dieing of thirst? Is there a child of mine that also is thirsting; and I am not aware. I pray to know.
Every message of General Conference has added more meaning to every thing I want to do and accomplish. How grateful I am for the Atonement of Jesus Christ; so many beautiful messages and testimonies borne of the Savior Jesus Christ.
It is true that the table of believers was at the Last Supper. Now we come to the Sacrament Table each week to renew our covenants with the Lord. To me that sacred moment is time to reflect on how I am doing in my life. Am I continuing to thirst to know the Lord and to make his atonement effective in my own life. 
At the table families were instructed on how to prepare for the feast and how to receive the food from our Savior. Families must be forever; there should never be an empty chair at our tables. 
I had many of my children and grandchildren at the table this weekend. Hopefully they too felt the spirit and had their own thirst satisfied. I pray for them to hunger and thirst for the true living waters.
How important is the kitchen table? Can it be a place for us to be filled with living water and a daily feast? Like many of you I am sure that when you have family present or friends that the kitchen often becomes the center of activity. What a place for teaching moments. Hopefully, there were lessons learned at my table this past week. How I loved listening to my children and grandchildren talk with one another and feel the joy of being in their presence. How important is it to gather at the table as families on a daily basis. Perhaps, it is more important than we might think. Sitting together as a family for a formal meal has been discussed among many because it has been lost in many homes. The table is a place to be filled and to learn and grow closer in our relationships.  
Henri J. M. Nouwen, the Christian Moralist wrote the following: 
The table is one of the most intimate places in our lives. It is there that we give ourselves to one another. When we say, "Take some more, let me serve you another plate, let me pour you another glass, don't be shy, enjoy it," we say a lot more than our words express. We invite our friends to become part of our lives. We want them to be nurtured by the same food and drink that nurtures us. We desire communion...Strange as it may sound, the table is the place where we want to become food for one another. Every breakfast, lunch, or dinner can become a time of growing communion with one another.
I pray that my family was fed. 
I love the following thoughts from Jerry Earl Johnston in a booklet entitled "A Woman's Worth:
"I can imagine a grand dinner table in heaven -a table like the long, sturdy banquet table. Hundreds of people are sitting at the table, along with Deity. The only food allowed would be food for thought. The only meat would be "meaty" discussions. And it all would be served up on words - words of heartfelt communion."
Our family motto is: "No Empty Chairs". We want no empty chairs at our table.
Well perhaps there could be a little dessert of Chocolate!!

Our Easter moments with our children and grandchildren.

No comments: