Sunday, May 24, 2020

Memories of Gratitude ~

My dear husband and I had a beautiful day of celebrating the Memorial Tradition of decorating graves. It was a beautiful day, and it felt so good to get out in the sunshine, take a day trip, and enjoy memories of those who have passed. 


My dear husband and I had a beautiful day of celebrating the Memorial Tradition of decorating graves. It was a beautiful day, and it felt so good to get out in the sunshine, take a day trip, and enjoy memories of those who have passed. 
Here are my in-laws. They are buried in Bountiful, Utah. Actually, our Cemetery plots are located there too. I have many fond memories of these two beautiful individuals. They were great examples to us. 
Roger's father worked in the Missionary Department of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. He was called as the first Presiding Elder of Nigeria by President David O. McKay in the early 1960s. He visited Nigeria and taught many people about the beliefs of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latte-Day Saints. He was unable to stay in the country for long, because of political upheaval. He was assigned to communicate with the people in Nigeria that wanted more information about the church and desired missionaries to come.
 Dad and Mom Williams also presided over the Baton Rouge, Louisiana mission for 3 years. Later in 1981, they served a mission in Nigeria and Ghana. One of their assignments was to look for some of those individuals that he had corresponded with. We have a history full of fantastic experiences. They have left a legacy of love, service, and Missionary work. 
We next drove into the Salt Lake City Cemetery to place flowers on the graves of Roger's Sister Marilyn and her husband, Don Brady. We found their graves quickly. That cemetery is very extensive.
 I loved Don and Marilyn so much. They were an outstanding couple. I always looked at Marilyn as a sister that I never had. They were both extremely talented in remodeling homes and decorating. They loved to serve others and were always busy in their ward assignments. 
One of our favorite places visit is in the area where I was born and raised until 13 years of age. We lived in Richfield, Utah. My Dad was raised in Sigurd, Utah, by his Grandmother. 
My dear parents are buried in Sigurd. This is a relatively small Cemetery that years ago was just dirt. It now has grass. I was a little sad to see that Cemetery isn't cared for very well, but it at least has grass.
 I remember, as a child, that my brothers would mow the lawn clippings, and then these would be spread over the graves to make it look suitable for Memorial day along with the flowers placed there. This was a yearly tradition. 
I miss my parents so much, and being there was an emotional moment for me. I am so grateful to know that I will see them again and that we are an eternal family. My parents were the best ever. They were so good to me. I was the youngest and the only girl, so I was spoiled by them all. 
 I have also lost both my brothers, Mac and John. Also, my sister in law. Amparo. I have one dear sister in law, Gloria left, and I love her so much and feel happy that I can still visit and talk with her.
The photo above was taken at this Cemetery. The monument is made out of the rocks from an old rock church in Sigurd. I love the plaque that explains it all. 
My Grandpa Herbert and my Grandmother, Maggie Gledhill, and their two- year old son, Max, are buried here, also. I didn't know either of them. My Uncle Max died at age two of pneumonia, two years later, my Dad, Millan, was born. Five months later, my Grandmother, Maggie, died of Bright's disease. Several months later, my Grandpa, Herbert, joined the army during the 1st World War. He was sent to France and was killed in the trenches on June 13, 1917. My Grandpa remains were buried initially in a temporary grave and then later relocated to another site in France. Eventually, his body was brought home and buried in Sigurd. My father was then left as an orphan at the age of 18 months. My Dad was then raised by his Grandparents; 
 Knowing that my Grandfather gave his life for our country and others has always helped me have a love for this great Nation and the freedoms we have fought for. 
Next, we drove to Monroe, Utah, to decorate the grave of my Uncle Kirtley and Aunt Alene Bell. My Aunt Alene is my Mother's baby sister. My Uncle Kirtley served in the 2nd World  War and fought in battles in Germany and England. He was away from his sweet wife for three years. Their first baby boy, Ron, was born shortly after my Uncle left.  He came home from the war on the day of my birth. I have fond memories of the many times that I stayed at my Aunt Alene's home while growing up. We were always close. She passed away last July at the age of 98.
Our next stop was back to Richfield, Utah. This is where I was born. We went to the Richfield Cemetery and placed flowers on the graves of my Uncle Bill and Aunt Della Moorhead. Della was my Mother's oldest sister. My Uncle Bill passed away first; my Aunt Della later died at the age of 100. I didn't know them as well because they lived out of the state most of the years of growing up. However, when we moved back to Utah in 2005, I was able to get to know her better. She lived in Bountiful, and I loved visiting her. I eventually wrote her history, and she was such a delight to know. She told me such fun stories of growing up and shared details about my Mom that I didn't know. I felt so sad about her passing. 
We then put flowers on my Grandma Dora and Grandpa Ernest Peterson's grave. I loved my dear Grandma so much. I spent many hours with her. She told me many stories about being a nurse in Richfield, and that is what gave me the desire to be one too. She lost her first husband, Ernest to, the flu in 1922. When he passed away, they had three little girls; Della, age 8, Leone (my mother), age 5, and Alene, age 3. He was a farmer and had been helping take care of his Uncle and Aunt's farm. They all had the flu. He then came down with it, and all of the family got it. My Mom remembers having blood coming from their ears. He developed the complication of pneumonia and passed away. He said goodbye to them all and then told them he could see a beautiful place, and his mother was there. His Mom had passed away a couple of months before he did. It was such a testimony to this little family of the spirit world and knowing that there was life after death.
My Grandmother became a nurse to support the family and then married my step Grandpa Ogden years later, and Grandpa Charles Ogden was the only Grandpa that I knew and loved dearly.

Our last stop was at the gravesite of my Great Grandpa Thomas and Grandma Lillie Mae Gledhill. 
Growing up, I didn't know the Gledhill side very well. My Dad was raised by his maternal Grandmother McMillan. While there, I noted that I had a Great Uncle's headstone. Following a little research, I found an incredible history of my Great Grandparents. 
I have experienced great delight in knowing more about my ancestors. Their lives and how they lived them have been a great source of strength to me. Life was not easy for them. They went through plaques like now and wars. They lost loved ones at a young age. They struggled with the elements on their farms and ranches. I find their faith in God and their examples of perseverance and courage under difficult circumstances to be remarkable. I thanks them for their examples of love and service. 
We loved to show our respect for the lives they lived by decorating their graves. 
Have a beautiful Memorial Day, everyone! 

3 comments:

Debbie said...

what a wonderful way to spend a day, i enjoyed hearing about these beautiful people. it was nice to see faces to go with the stories. my sister-in-law is my best friend. i am sure it is your faith that keeps everyone in the family so close!!

Christy Monson said...

Beautiful post.I do love memorial day. All the best, Christy

Barb said...

Hi LeAnn~

You have such a wonderful heritage!! What an amazing family you and Roger have, and it's such a blessing that you can tell those stories, I know they will be treasured by your children and grandchildren. In fact, just reading them has even inspired my to read my families histories and be more diligent about doing my family history...thank you, sweet friend!

So many exciting changes for Amber and James! You'll love their new home, it's just beautiful! They were so happy to find a home that ticked all the boxes and then their home sold so quickly...I know that this move was meant to be.
It
We have been staying home as much as possible, and it's been hard! We did go out to dinner with some friends a few weeks ago, and I felt guilty and a little unsettled the whole time. I told Bob that we wouldn't be doing that again for a while. I have kind of enjoyed staying home more, it seemed like we were always running a hundred miles an hour. Our Stake will start going back on June 14th, but we have decided to wait a few months before we attend.

I'm so happy that you planted a garden this year! I can't wait to see the photos. We are suppose to have a freeze Sunday night and Monday night. I'll cover it the best I can...and pray! It's not big, and I won't be able to can much of it, if any, but it will be fun to have my own produce.

Looking forward to seeing you guys when things open up. Stay safe, stay healthy and hopefully we will see you soon!

Bob and I just treasure you guys as well and always look forward to being with you. Love you bunches!!

Hugs and Love,
Barb