Friday, August 17, 2018

The Simple Woman's Daybook - My August Sampler~

Today

Looking out my window
Right now as I look out the window, I can see the street lights, and it's a beautiful evening. I can't see the stars tonight because we continue to have bad air from the fires coming out of Utah and other states. It has been a terrible fire season. I'm very frustrated because I have a chronic cough that is always present except for a few weeks each year. I have been having a non-cough time now for a couple of weeks until the fire and smoke came barreling into our city. The air has been horrible.
 I am thinking
I think that I have some hectic moments ahead and I need to get this post completed tonight. Saturday my schedule is crazy, and I won't be able to do it all. First of all, we will get up at 3:15 am to get ready for our temple shift at 4:30 am. We are then leaving our assignments early to go to our brother in law, Don Brady's funeral. My dear husband is speaking at it. He has spent many hours on his message. He will be talking on behalf of all of his siblings and their thoughts and feelings about Don. Don is married to Roger's oldest Sister Marilyn, who passed away in 2011. He had been ill for a long time. It was a blessing for him to join her again. After the funeral, burial, and luncheon, we are hoping to come back, change and go to our grandson, Jonathan's Championship Soccer game. We then have a social function with dinner and a band with many of our friends from the temple. Somewhere in between it all; we should go to a wedding reception. I think exhaustion will set in at some point in time. We aren't spring chicken's anymore. 
Our love Brother in law - Don Brady
                                                     I am thankful
I do have a grateful heart for many great blessings in my life. I have a wonderful husband that cares deeply for me, and I for him. We have a spectacular relationship. I love being with him. I have a fantastic family. I have a sincere testimony of my Heavenly Father and Savior Jesus Christ. I love The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I have many dear extended family members and deeply beloved friends. I am blessed. 
My handsome Cowboy~
One of my favorite things
One of my favorite things is to spend time with my precious grandchildren. Many of them I don't get to see very often, but when I do, it brightens my day. Right now I have three of them living in my home. I love my precious moments with them. Right now I have been teaching them basic piano. 
Ben - Emma - Alyssa
We also attended a soccer tournament for our grandson, Jonathan. He is an excellent player, and we enjoyed watching him play. 

Our Grandson Jonathan~
I am creating
I am creating more time in my schedule to do family history work. Just yesterday, I found family names that I can do their temple work. I was very excited about that. 
I also have some letters that were written by my Grandfather, Herbert F. Gledhill to his mother and other family members while he was serving in the army during the 1st World War. He was killed in the trenches in France on June 14th, 1917. I am transcribing them from the original handwritten letter which is in pencil. I found a precious note; the very last one he wrote on June 13th, before he was killed on the 14th. I shed many tears on this one. 
My Grandfather Herbert and my beloved Dad, Millan~ My Dad's Birthday were on August 15th, he would have been 102 years old.  I miss him so much. I wonder if they celebrate birthdays in the spirit world. 

                                                       I am wearing
I am wearing a dark green nightgown with black PJ bottoms and black flip-flops. It is now almost 10 pm. I'm ready to jump into bed soon. 
I am reading

The Fire and Steel - Volume two, The Storm Descends by Gerald Lund. It is a compelling book of the era of the German war. I have been reading this book about a German young man fighting in the trenches in France for Germany. It is about the same time as my Grandfather who was fighting for the American side. It's been a little difficult to read. I love historical fiction, and this is a good one. There are 5 books in the series, and I am having trouble putting it down. He weaves a good story. There was some excellent missionary work that was being done by our church in Germany at this time, so this is part of the story as well. 
Of course, I am busy reading my precious Book of Mormon every day. This is indeed the most influential book of all. 

I am hoping
I am hoping that the fires go away soon and that our valley can be free of smoke. I want some more time not coughing. I love to talk and sing and can't as much when I have a cough. 
I am learning
I'm learning to be more patient with myself and others. I am finding that I don't have to be on top of everything all the time. I can relax more and enjoy moments of reading novels and playing my piano. 
I am Dreaming
I am dreaming of having some marvelous moments with my husband. I want to spend some time on a picnic, or swimming in a lake or perhaps hiking through some small hills. I don't think we can do a big hike, but I would love a small one.
I am looking forward to cooling weather to take a few rides in the mountains that I love. 
One of my favorite places to visit is Fish Lake, Utah. 


Fish Lake
. We are planning a quick 3 day trip to Monticello, Utah. We haven't been to this area before. It is the area where a group of stalwart pioneers settled and were the characters in a novel series by Gerald Lund entitled; "Undaunted" -"Only The Brave" and "To Soar With Eagles." I was deeply touched by their stories. Thus, I have wanted to visit that area. 

Monticello, Utah area
We planned to attend the Monticello Utah Temple while we are there. I am thrilled to be able to do that. 

In my kitchen
In my kitchen, there is a pile load of dishes to do. I don't know if I can leave them until tomorrow, but it is getting late.  

Board Room 
I have a Pinterest Board for videos that I love. One of my all time favorites was "Gone With The Wind." I must watch it again soon. 
Shared Quote
My endearing granddaughter that is on a mission in Sacramento, California sent this quote by Sister Kristen Oaks, wife of President Dallen H. Oaks of the 1st Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. She was present at a devotional that they spoke at in her mission. I loved these thoughts so much. 

"Salvation is not easy, it is not a cheap experience. Expect to walk some of the paths that Jesus Christ walked, to feel a portion of His pain, and to shed at least one of His tears of sorrow. That is the price that we must pay at one point in our lives. You will know the Savior when you pay the price."  

A moment from my day
Closing Notes
My closing thoughts are for all my friends out there. I wish for you enough food, sufficient clothing, a roof over your head and all the necessities of life. I wish for you someone that loves you genuinely and will care for you tenderly with all your needs. I hope for you the knowledge that you are indeed a daughter or son of a loving Heavenly Father that wants you to return and live with Him again. I wish for you an ever-expanding love for our beloved Savior Jesus Christ. I want you to know and feel His love. I want you to know that He gave His all for us that we might return to be with them again. Through His Atonement, you can become clean and pure. Through Him, you can receive all the blessings promised to our Heavenly Father's children. Through faith in Jesus Christ, repentance baptism, you can obtain the precious gift of the Holy Ghost to assist you in enduring to the end. 
I wish for you to take the challenge to read "The Book of Mormon" and come to know Jesus Christ. Search and find the truths that are found in the Restored Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  You will find more meaning and pure joy in your life. You will see that you can have eternal relationships that go beyond this earth life existence. 
I know these thoughts are true!  I love each  of you~

You can read more wonderful The Simple Woman's Daybook entries here and join us all in writing a daybook post.     http://thesimplewoman.blogspot.com/ 

6 comments:

Debbie said...

i was reminded of the verse/poem "you are enough" as i read your closing thoughts!! i always remind myself of that thought when i am down or feeling hard on myself!!

i wonder why there is such an early shift at your temple?? i would enjoy the service more if it were a more desirable time of day!! i think it is so difficult to speak at a funeral, i have never done it and although it is an honor, i hope i never have to. i'm sure his words will be of great comfort to don's family. i am sorry for your loss!!

you have a handsome cowboy and adorable grandchildren....

i enjoyed your pictures and i am happy that you are dreaming of a hike out in nature, you need that. i enjoyed seeing my picture, i know that spot so well and it is surely a favorite of mine!!!

Christy Monson said...

What a beautiful slice of your life. You are awesome! Sending hugs, Christy

Tracy said...

How awful the fires everywhere this year... So sorry your air quality is affected, LeAnn! :( Goodness what a BUSY weekend you had. So sorry about Don... How sweet your grands playing piano! FUN with your family history project. Your current reading sound really interesting and engaging. I so enjoy when you share your Daybook posts! And LOVE that quote on Salvation--great things to think about and pray on! Much LOVE to you, my friend--GOD Bless you & yours ((BIG HUGS))

Diane said...

You are busy, but it sounds like you were able to do it all. I hope and pray that the fires out west end soon too. I am sorry about your cough. It is so dry out there. We would gladly send you our rain if we could.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic items from you, man. I have have iin mid
your stuff previous to and you are simply extremely magnificent.
I really like what you've bought right here, really like whawt
you're saying and the way in which youu say it. Yoou make it entertaining and you still care for to keep iit smart.
I can't wait to read much more from you. That is really a
wonderful site.

Anonymous said...

This is really interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.
I have joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your wonderful post.
Also, I've shared your site in mmy social networks!