Friday, October 17, 2014

The Simple Woman's Daybook Entry - A Lovely Day~

For Today
October 16th - 2014
Stop by and visit other The Simple Woman's Day Book Entries here.
Outside my window....it is a very beautiful fall day. The fall colors are spectacular. The temperatures today are in the 60's. We are having a lovely Indian summer. 

I am thinking...It is time for blogging. I haven't read any blog posts for about a week and I am missing all of you that I follow. I am wondering how each of you are doing. I think of you as such good friends and so you are often in my daily thoughts. I will be reading your posts tomorrow.
I am thankful...that my husband and I were able to take a mini vacation to Idaho to have a couple of days together and then some time with family. We attended 5 football games in 4 days that our grandchildren were playing in. I will post some pictures later. It was fun to see them play; we have some talented football players. 
My Hubby and my Sammy
In the kitchen...I will be grilling Pork Chops and making a Salad dinner. No dessert for us tonight. My husband was recently diagnosed with Diabetes. It is not bad so we think it can be controlled by diet. It means of course giving up sugars as much as possible so I am learning how to cook in a different way. Thus far we have both lost some weight; which is a real bonus. I think we are going to do OK with it all. Of course, I haven't been able to give up chocolate; I don't think that will happen for me. I have cut back however; so that is good. 
chocoholic bag
I am wearing.....A pink tee shirt, light blue Levis, pink socks and black slippers.
I am creating...a mess right now. I have been trying to go through some old files that I haven't looked at for a very long time. I am trying to decide what to toss and what to keep. My files are a mess. Now that we have the computer I can look up subjects that I want to read and I don't need to put them in a file. I am sure there are priceless items in my files so I have to look at everything, which will probably take a year. 
I am going... with my husband to the temple tonight to do some temple work. I love going with him. It is always a sweet spiritual moment for us both. Wow, I just thought maybe I won't make a dinner I will have him take me to dinner at the temple. There is a Cafeteria there. Brilliant idea, I think!
Photograph of the Jordan River Utah Mormon Temple
I am wondering...how to organize my time. I think I am always trying to do this but I am not accomplishing very much. It seems like every time I have a plan something interrupts it. I then end up not finishing the project I am working on. I need to have better priorities but it isn't happening yet. If any of you out there have a good suggestion; let me know. My time management skills are the pits right now
I am reading...The Book of Mormon with the study guide This has been a slow go recently.
 I am also reading the Doctrine and Covenants. This book of scripture is revelations that were received by the Prophet Joseph Smith and other prophets in the Latter-days. 
Doctrine and Covenants - Rachel Bruner
It is one of my favorite book of scriptures and I haven't read it for a while. I am trying to read at least a section a day.
 I am finally in the 3rd book of the series; "Come To Zion - Fresh Courage Take" by Dean Hughes
 Fresh_courage_take

This is an amazing book. I am astounded sometimes at what all of the early saints of our church went through for their beliefs. This book is centered around their time in Nauvoo when the Prophet Joseph Smith and his brother Hyrum Smith were killed at Carthage Jail. After their martyrdom the lives of the people in Nauvoo were threatened and many of their homes were burned by mobs. Eventually they had to leave this beautiful city and temple that they had sacrificed to build and come west where they could live in peace. The story is sad but the saints of that day were so resilient, courageous, and stalwart in their faith. They have left a great legacy for us to follow. Their stories are truly inspirational.We have ancestors that lived at that time in Nauvoo. We visited Nauvoo a few years ago and reflected on the great sacrifices that they made for their faith. Times were difficult but they were blessed in miraculous way. These series of books have been such an eye opener to the lives of those blessed pioneers. I have shed many tears while reading this excellent series. 
I am hoping...to be able to do some family history research tomorrow; at least that is the plan. I have found several histories of my ancestors on Family Search so it has been exciting to read them. I marvel at their faith and the many miracles that occurred in their lives.  It has given me strength to face some of the obstacles in my own life. I have often used the mantra if my great great grandparents can do what they had to do; I can too. Go to the Family Search site and look up some of your ancestors and perhaps you will find a story or two. 
I am looking forward to.......less stressful days; if that is possible. It seems like that time is speeding by and I am actually accomplishing less. How did I ever raise 6 children; it's a wonderment to me.
I am learning trying to learn...believe it or not Spanish. My husband and I have decided to try and learn Spanish. Not only will it be good to stimulate our brains therefore possibly preventing or at least slowing down future dementia. We bought the Rosetta Stone course, so I will keep you posted on how I am doing. My biggest problem is that I don't know how to pronounce many English words so Spanish will be a challenge for me. 
Around the house...I have been cleaning it. I worked on the downstairs today and the upstairs tomorrow. I have had a sweet neighbor girl help me for a while due to back problems. I am now taking on the care of my home without help. My sweet husband does help me when he can. I need to do fall cleaning so that is in the plan also.  
I am pondering...how to go to bed earlier and get up earlier. You would think that one can just do it. However, it seems like each night we just never seem to get to bed until at least 11 pm. My husband get's up at 7 am for work and I am grateful he works at home. I then struggle to get up around 8 am. I need an extra hour in my day and it will only happen if I can just manage to get to bed at 10 pm. and then get up earlier. I will let you know when and if I accomplish that goal. 
A favorite quote……

One of my favorite things... is to talk on the phone with my friends. However, with emails, texting, Facebook and etc.; that doesn't happen very often. I think that is kind of sad. I really am worried about how our grandchildren are going to learn to have a real face to face conversation. Most of their parents now request that they not use media when we are visiting so that we can actually have a good verbal visit with them. It has been sweet to just relax and enjoy our grandchildren without them holding their phones and texting friends. 
A few plans for this week: To the temple tonight - Family History work tomorrow - To bed early for the temple on Friday - To our temple shift on Saturday and possibly a movie in the afternoon. We want to see the movie; "Meet The Mormons" and/or "16 Stones". We are looking forward to viewing both these two movies. "Meet The Mormon" actually was # 10 over the opening weekend; which was awesome. It would be so wonderful if those of other faiths would see this movie and realize that we truly are Christians.
A peek into one of my days from this week... 
Another Grandson's football game on Tuesday~

6 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

Really enjoyed this post so full of interesting little tidbits about your life.

That photo of the temple is gorgeous!

=)

PS. Thanks for your kind words on my blog today. Much appreciated, my friend.

Pitterle Postings said...

Love all the pictures! It sounds as if your life is full. That is a great thing. We went to St. George last weekend and saw Meet the Mormons and went to the temple everyday and ate in the cafeteria too. I loved it. Our temple doesn't have one, so we usually try to eat at home if we have time, before we go. I hope you had as good of a vacation as I did!

Just Ramblin' said...

Every time I read you Simple Woman's Daybook, I think I need to get back to it again. I love reading yous. I had to chuckle as I read about your trying to go through old files. I started doing that some time ago and certainly haven't made much progress because of having to look at everything. Finally, got rid of old class notes from institute classes because they didn't seem to make sense anymore. It was hard to do, but they were just taking up space. Maybe I'll get motivated from your post and do some more work on them. Our bishop has encouraged us to study our weekly Sunday class lessons as well as our scriptures. I've been trying to do that and it does make a difference in class. I have been reading my Mother's Book Of Mormon and it has been a tender experience. As I read what she has written in the margins and underlined I often wonder what she was thinking, why this particular passage stood out to her and what it meant to her. Love, love Sister Becks quote. It has become a favorite of mine.
Have a wonderful day at the temple and I hope you do go to dinner there. Nola

Debbie said...

I organize my time best by writing lists, in order of priority. I think having a routine of sorts really helps. I also make sure that I do one thing, everyday, that I really love to do.

When it comes to cleaning, I try to do a room a day. Deep cleaning and real organizing I do during the winter, when it's cold and snowy.

Always remember to be kind to yourself, you have a very full life!!

Marie Rayner said...

Loved your daybook entry LeAnn. You lead such a really busy life, but filled with so much goodness. I have always loved reading your goings on. I used to love reading about your Service Mission. Todd and I have been asked would we do a Service Mission and we have said yes. It's a way we can serve without leaving our home. Pretty special. Love and hugs to you dear friend. always. xxoo

Christy Monson said...

I love everything about your posts, but the thing that helps me most from your day book is the message you send to slow down. Sometimes I run from one thing to another and don't take time to smell the roses. I appreciate these posts because they remind me to enjoy the process of life. Thanks for that message.