Monday, January 16, 2012

The Hidden Shoes~


I know that most parents would agree that raising children can be a very difficult endeavor. I was privilege to have six outstanding children. I can say that now because they are all adults. My child raising era is over. We now take on the role of observer of our children's parenting skills. I can sit back and relax a little bit more knowing that they are in for the ride of their life. I learned many valuable lessons while raising our children.  Each child that joins our families have distinct and different personalities. Learning to deal with these personalities is one of the great lessons of life.
I have a child that gave us a run for our money. He knew the buttons to push me. One of the things that saved him from undue punishment was his sense of humor. Here is just one fun story about him.
One day my son came into the house and wanted to show me that he needed a new pair of shoes. It seemed as though I had just bought him a pair recently; so I could hardly believe the shape the shoes were in. As I looked at him I said, "You know perhaps you can earn a new pair of shoes." He looked rather frustrated by that remark because work was a bad word to him. At this point of parenting; we required that all of our children do basic chores for free and then if they wanted extra money, they could do extra chores.
At this time I suggested that he actually do his free work and then go the extra mile to earn the money for the new shoes. We decided that if he would clean his room from top to bottom and pay particular attention to under his bed; along with a few outside chores he could earn the money for the shoes.
The next day I went out and bought him a new pair of shoes and placed them under his bed.
He improved in doing his daily chores and worked on the outside ones too. One day he said he had completed the list of chores to do. I told him that he still needed to do a little bit more in his bedroom. He of course went in and straightened his bed, rearranged his drawers but did not tackle the under the bed issue. So every time he asked about getting the money for his new shoes I would remind him that he needed to clean under his bed.
Perhaps now is the time to tell you what was under his bed. Let me start with the dried  half eaten food such as banana peels, dried sandwiches plus a year of dust, dirty socks, clothes, and etc. In order to clean under the bed myself; I would have had to get a hazmat suit.
I told my mother about the shoes hidden under the bed; so she even suggested to him that he clean  under his bed.
On a very rainy day he came in and begged me to get him a new pair of shoes because his had holes in them and his feet were wet. I just reminded him to clean under his bed. It took a total of two weeks before he finally cleaned under his bed and found his new shoes.
The blessing to this story is that he now he has a large family and at least two of his boys are just like him. I feel the payback coming on this one!



Join this fun Blog Hop on Wednesdays~
  

23 comments:

singing/granny said...

Thanks LeAnn for that wonderful story...right when I needed it! And for your kind comments today. I admit today started out rather bad, but it has resolved itself and I appreciate the encouragement. I hope you enjoy the moments....you certainly deserve them! Melody

John said...

I laughed so hard.That is the best story! I even read it to my family. I love your clever parenting there. I am going to have to look for opportunities to use that trick!

Stephanie Cozzens said...

That is awesome.

I am feeling so inspired right now....

Barb said...

Hi Leann!

I love that story! I'll bet I know who you are talking about... ;0) He's a wonderful father - and all those lessons will come into play . . . very soon!! Don't you just love to watch them grow!?!?

Hugs and Love,
Barb

Marie Rayner said...

How very clever LeAnn!!! I am sure he learned a very important lesson as well! When my five were teens I learned to shut doors. Their rooms were always impossible. Shutting the doors was the only solution! Love you! xxoo

thomas family said...

Loved reading this. Don't remember this one. I actually said out loud the other day that I couldn't wait for Alyssa to have kids just like her. Love you Mom.

Susan Anderson said...

This is a GREAT story. Just loved it.

=)

Debbie said...

great story and a wonderful lesson. children really do learn what they live!!

Just Ramblin' said...

Oh, I love this story! Thanks for sharing! Nola

Kim said...

What a great lesson for your son to learn! I love the demonstration of your expectations that he would clean under his bed.

Thanks so much for illustrating that it is a good thing for children to contribute to the household!

The Adventurer said...

Fantastic story made me chuckle because I have a child just like this:) I can so see this happen in my house.

Mom of 12 said...

Love seeing that payback! My kids hate cleaning their rooms too.
Sandy

Cheryl @ TFD said...

This is a wonderful story, LeAnn, and a wonderful lesson for all children! I wish I'd thought of that one way back when, because my son was and still is pretty messy (I've seen his house)! For some reason, he was allowed to slack off on the cleaning of his room. I just picked up after him. Our daughter was good at keeping things neat and orderly and still is. Those lessons learned in childhood go a long way into making good habits that carry into adulthood.

Joy For Your Journey said...

That is too funny. And what a clever mother you are!!

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

That's hilarious!!! I love that you were so patient and made him learn the lesson. Thanks for this! I really needed some motherhood inspiration tonight!

Dolly said...

I think I need to try this on MY eighteen year old tennis player:) His bedroom reminds me of a hoarding episode I saw last Monday.

Anonymous said...

its fun being on this side of parenting...cheering and praying for our kids as they now have to wrestle out the parenting questions...
Blessings~

Darlene said...

That is just so great! You are a very good mother, indeed! What a great lesson he must have learned, and what a great reward.

It is amazing though how kids can let things go. I guess I was a spoil sport. I would often stand over my kids and make them do their cleaning until pretty soon they got it right. There is just one out of the five that lets their homes get messy. Sue tells me that to this day whenever she hears a Johnny Mathis song, she immediately feels like she needs to get busy and clean as that is what we used to do every Saturday morning before they could go out to play. They all had their certain chores to do besides cleaning their room. Sue's was to clean the bathrooms and I must say she was very good at it. To this day, she cannot stand a messy bathroom!!

Tricia said...

Brilliant! I love what you did with the shoes! What a wonderful way to teach such a life lesson!

Susan said...

What a great story, what a smart Mom you are! Love it! I'm sure it's one lesson he'll never forget also!

Heidi said...

Very very clever! I am going to have to try something like that with mine! Thank you for linking up with us at NOBH!

Kendra said...

This reminds me of my 4 year old...He is a handful, but has the best sense of humor!

Renee said...

Love this story, LeAn! Thanks for sharing your wisdom and creativity with us. Blessings!