Sunday, February 6, 2011

Joy of Journaling!

 I have been keeping a journal for over 34 years. I have been greatly blessed in doing this.The following are some thoughts on the joy of keeping a journal.

As one reads the Book of Mormon you will see the value of a journal. 

The Book of Mormon is a journal of a family and the eventual history of an ancient civilization in the Americas. This history started out with two families and covers their leaving Jerusalem, their travels, trials, tribulations, joys, the growth of their nation, the waring amongst them, and their relationship with God and our Savior Jesus Christ. The prophets of that time were commanded to keep a record of all of these events.
I love the Book of Mormon and my testimony of the Savior expands each time I read it. The history, genealogy and spiritual experiences found within the pages of this great book are of great value to us all.
 I especially love the Saviors visit to Ancient America after his atonement, crucifixion and resurrection. In 3 Nephi we learn how much the Savior, Jesus Christ loved these people. His teachings are powerful and are some of the most valuable in Holy writ. The Nephite prophets had long foretold of his birth, death and resurrection. The righteous people at that time looked forward to that great day. 
We have been encouraged to keep a journal of our own lives and I feel strongly that there will be a need for our writings. As we read journals of our ancestors and the early pioneers; these writings give us courage to go on in our own struggles. Once I read the book of Mary Fielding Smith's life and for many years when I had a difficult moment I would say to myself, "If Mary Fielding Smith can do it; I can do it"

As foretold by the prophets through the ages the Second Coming of our Savior is close. We are living in an era of great wickedness. We are exposed daily to Satan's lies and deceit. Our journals will reflect our fight against his evil designs and the ongoing events that will occur in preparation for the Second coming of the Savior. We do live in the worst of times and also in the best of times. We need to write down what is occurring in our lives and in the world of today.
As we look forward to a thousand years of peace; just think of the marvelous stories we can share. Towards the end of the thousand years there will be a space of time when Satan will be loosed. Many of the children of that time will have no idea what it is like to have Satan and his followers in their lives. Perhaps reading of your experiences will give them courage to fight against this evil. The  people of that day will be our posterity.
I enjoy writing in my journal spiritual moments. Those moments when prayers are answered, miracles received and spiritual learning has taken place. I write of goals written and hopefully completed. Most of all I write of the wonders  and the struggles of raising children, and then those sweet enduring moments with grandchildren. Capturing family events with thoughts and pictures are a priceless and precious treasure to me. 
Other important moments are writing about my own struggles and trials. These are  times when I am angry, upset or disappointed. I find that if I pause for a moment and write down these feelings; they tend to disappear more quickly.  
Distress always seem to have a lesson learned immediately or in retrospect and are found throughout my journal.
Recording my moments of joy and happiness brings great peace to my soul. I want my children to know that I have a strong and true testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I want them to feel my love for my Savior and for each and everyone of them. I want them to know how much I love my husband and the good father and man he is. These thoughts and feelings are interlaced throughout my writings.
Another bonus is that I have a record of the dates of the main events in my life and the life of my family. Just tonight I was talking with my daughter on the phone and at that time I had been looking in my journal for a trip we took to Nauvoo, Illinois in 2002. During this time she was dating her future husband. I asked her if she remembered the date of their first date. She said she didn't know for sure. There it was right in my journal. I have had children call me up to find dates for different events in their lives. 
Finally,  my journal writings are now also my memories. At this stage of life, I can't remember many details of my past; but I can read my journal to refresh my mind.
No matter what stage of life you are in; start a journal today and feel the joy of journaling.
    

6 comments:

The WIlloughby Family said...

I think you are so awesome for keeping such a consistent journal. I LOVE that you make it a priority and write down so many things. I need to do this more. I love what you said about our journals being strength for the hard times ahead. In my patriarchal blessing it says that Satan will be in all if his fury while I am raising my children. They will need all the strength and support I can give them. Thanks for these thoughts, I want to go write in my journal now!
Love, Jess

Marie Rayner said...

I've kept journals off and on through the years. I have always kept prayer journals. It's fun to go back through them and see how prayers have been answered and it's also a bit painful sometimes as well! xxoo

Susan Anderson said...

I like keeping journals, too, but now my blog has become a journal for me. I print it off every three months or so, and my posterity will have a much better chance of being able to read it. (My penmanship is so awful they will not have an easy time with the handwritten ones!)

=)

Barb said...

Hi LeAnn!

What a great post! You have always inspired me at how diligent you are with your journal, I know you will be, and have been very blessed because of it!

My sweet little neighbor, who will be 93 in April, has always kept a journal. She has boxes of tablets that she refers to often. If there is something that I can't remember about the last 15 years that we have lived here, she will find it in her journal! She has a wonderful testimony of journaling. I know that like you, her children will one day cherish her journals and draw strength from them.

Now . . . I need to start being more diligent about keeping my journal up to date, thank you for the gentle reminder!

Hugs and Love,
Barb

John said...

My blog is my journal and my kids love going back and reading about themselves. But before blogs I was only so so at journaling. I like your thoughts about it, though. I think I will share this with my kids.

Kris Hannah said...

This was a great post. Thank you for sharing. I'm with Diane. I use my blog as a journal. I tried ldsjournal.com and it lasted for a while, but it is lacking some technology that blogs have... one being emailed posts.

Thank you for sharing. I'd love to share this on my blog if you don't mind.