Friday, July 10, 2015

The Path of Life ~ Death ~ Paradise ~ Eternal Life~


Today as I listened to the funeral services for our beloved Apostle, President Boyd K. Packer; my heart was deeply touched by the many uplifting and heartfelt messages from the speakers and the lovely music. This is the 2nd Apostle who has passed away within six weeks of one another.
President Boyd K. Packer~
Elder L. Tom Perry passed away on May 30th, 2015. I was saddened at his passing; he too was a beloved disciple of Jesus Christ. 
Elder L. Tom Perry~
Both of these men were living Apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They went about the world doing good. They truly exemplified the thoughts found in the D&C 81:5; "Wherefore, be faithful, stand in the office which I have appointed unto you; succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees." I have shed many tears at their passing. I have a strong testimony of their divine calling. They are true disciples of Jesus Christ. 
Having been a Hospice Home Health nurse I am familiar with the process of death. I have cared for many who have passed on from terminal disease. The patients that I cared for were different cultures, religions, and a variety of ages.  Because of this special privilege; I have witnessed the passing of my patients. These were individuals and their families that I visited, care for and loved. I had  many spiritual moments when as their spirit left their bodies; I knew they were still alive in the spirit. I spent time comforting their loved ones and friends. Because I believe in life everlasting I was able to see the eternal perspective in these deaths. I still had to grieve myself many times because they had become close friends to me. I sought for through prayer and always received the comfort of the spirit letting me know all was well. 
I know there is a place prepared for those who pass from this life into the Spirit World. I know that our loved ones are near us. I have witnessed communications from the patient to a loved one in the spirit world. I feel that their loved ones surround them and help to prepare them to cross over into that realm. 
The past 10 days have been days of sorrow for myself and my children. My Grandson Michael recently lost his best friend in a Helicopter Accident. It is always hard to hear this kind of news. Losing someone young is very difficult.
Hudson Simmons
Then just this Wednesday evening we were notified that our dear Nephew Callahan and his wife Nikki lost their angel daughter Eliza, age 10 from complications of a disease that has ravaged her body for the past 8 years.
Eliza Williams~
Although I know  beyond doubt there is life beyond death; my heart still mourns for those we have lost. This grieving is part of life; but none the less difficult.  I have been praying for them all to feel the comfort of the spirit in knowing that their love one is just in another room and that the day will come that they will love and hug them again. 

A beloved Apostle, Elder Russel M. Nelson, gave an outstanding message on death entitled: " Doors of Death"  which gave me great comfort as I read it today. I thought I would share a few thoughts from this talk. 
"Death separates "the spirit and the body which are the soul of man. (D&C 88:15). The separation evokes pangs of sorrow and shock among those left behind. The hurt is real. Only its intensity varies. Some doors are heavier than others. The sense of tragedy may be related to age. Generally the younger the victim, the greater the grief. Yet even when the elderly or infirm have been afforded merciful relief, their loved ones are rarely ready to let go. The only length of life that seems to satisfy the longings of the human heart is life everlasting. 
Irrespective of age, we mourn for those loved and lost. Mourning is one of the deepest expressions of pure love. It is a natural response in complete accord with divine commandment: "Thou shalt live together in love, insomuch that thou shalt weep for the loss of them that die." (D&C 42:45). 
Moreover, we can't fully appreciate joyful reunions later without tearful separations now. The only way to take sorrow out of death is to take love our of life. 
Our limited perspective would be enlarged if we could witness the reunion on the other side of the veil, when doors of death open to those returning home. Such was the vision of the  of the psalmist who wrote, "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints." (Ps.116:15.)
The first station in postmortal life is named paradise. Alma wrote: "Concerning the state of the soul between death and the resurrection - Behold, it has been made known unto me ...that the spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body,...are taken home to the God who gave them life....
The spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace. (Alma 40:11-12.)
There will be a resurrection and Immortality. Physical death is only temporary. 
"Our resurrection will not be an end but a new beginning....After judgment comes the possibility of eternal life-the kind of life that our Heavenly Father lives....It is available to all who prepare for it, the requirements of which have been clearly revealed: "Ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and all men. Wherefore, if ye press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." (2 Ne. 31:20.)...
Loving relationships continue beyond the doors of death and judgment. Family ties endure because of sealings in the temple." 
This Eternal perspective provides peace "which passeth all understanding.: (Philip. 4:7.)"
I know that all of those in whom have passed that we have loved; we will see them again. These thought brought me great comfort and peace. 
This is one of my favorite poems concerning this subject~

7 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

LeAnn, I am so grateful for the Gospel which brings us so much hope. It is hard to understand the why sometimes. But I know that if we stick with the Saviour and follow His path, He will wipe away every tear. Sending you love, blessings and hugs. Thanks for all that you share. xoxo

Denise said...

lifting you, and your precious family up in my prayers, love you.

Christy Monson said...

Lots of loss - graduation if you will. Both church leaders and family for you. Our prayers are with you and your loved ones. Beautiful post.

Unknown said...

Beautiful message, LeAnn, Thank you for sharing. I appreciate your beautiful perspective and the insights you shared. I, too, know that we have wonderful things to look forward to in the next realm and pray to be worthy of them. It's sad for us when we lose loved ones but...often, very happy for them. And, the knowledge that we'll see them again is truly of the greatest worth.

Debbie said...

providing so much strength and comfort, for those who believe!! eliza is beautiful, what a tragic loss for her family. i had not read her story in 2010, i will follow the link and read it now!!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I'm so sorry about Eliza and your friends. I will pray for you and the families.

Mom of 12 said...

So sad to hear about Eliza! What a beautiful girl. Please give her family hugs from us.
Sandy